This page is a compilation of resources, web links and study material on Indian philosophy, Vedanta, Mythology and Wisdom. The author doesn’t endorse the content on any of the links, however, the following can act as good reference points for the learner.
Recommended reading technique: It is recommended to chew each material at your own pace. Don’t rush, don’t finish in one go. Read a page, think, contemplate. Read again. Understand. Forget it and move on to your mundane work. Come back. Read. Explain it to someone, enlighten an ignorant mind. Read again. Pick up any chapter, any stanza, any hymn. It doesn’t matter where you start, which way you go, and which one you absorb first and which one later. It is after all the same thing. Try to relate the teaching with your own life, experiences, observations and perspective. It is perfectly all right to disagree with the teachings but so long you keep reading and absorb the knowledge. After a point, you will go beyond agreement, analysis and debate.
Application of the knowledge earned is not necessary when you are starting out, since the application and the consumption will unify at some point, when your mind has expanded its horizons. It will automatically happen as you read and understand the essence of each text, so do not try to force the application of a teaching on you. The application shall happen on its own, without you having to try it explicitly.
I would suggest you not to read these before going to sleep. Rather, read it after waking up, preferably early morning when your mind is a blank slate and not polluted by worldly thoughts.
- Sacred Texts – Hinduism
- Sacred Texts – Mahabharata (translated by Kishori Mohan Ganguli)
- Ramayana (translated by Ralph Griffith)
- Rig Veda
- Sama Veda
- Yajur Veda
- Atharva Veda
- Upanishads Part 1, part 2
- Vishnu Purana
- Garuda Purana
- Bhagvad Gita
- Veda Base
- Complete works of Swami Vivekananda
- Hare Krishna
- India Divine
- Krishna Path
- Holy Books
Books and study material
- An Introduction to Indian Philosophy – Satish Chandra Chatterjee.
- Indian Philosophy, volume I and II – Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan.
- The Holy Vedas – Pandit Satyakam Vidyalankar.
- The Upanishads – Vol I, II, III, IV – Swami Nikhilananda.
- The secret teaching of the Vedas – Stephen Knapp
- The Upanishads – Aurobindo Ghosh.
- The Complete works of Swami Vivekananda.
- Wisdom of the Rishis – Sri M.
- Arthasashtra – Kautilya.
- The Mahabharata – Kisori Mohan Ganguli
- The Mahabharata – Bibek Debroy
- Mrituynjaya – Shivaji Sawant
- Jaya – An Illustrated retelling of Mahabharata
- Business Sutra – Devdutt Pattanaik.
- Myth and Mithya – Devdutta Pattanaik
- Karna’s wife – Kavita Kane
- Bheema, the lone warrior – Vasudevan Nair
- Yajnaseni – Pratibha Ray
- Yuganta – Irawati Karve
- The Laws of Manu
- Chanakya Neeti
- Vidur Neeti
PDF and Ebooks
- Mahabharata of Vyasa – Kisori Mohan Ganguli
- Drg – Drsya – Viveka
- I am that!
- Ten Principal Upanishads
- The secret of the Vedas – Sri Aurobindo Ghosh
[Developing resource, not complete yet]