We have another question from Chandan Das
I want to know the 4 categories of men’s and women’s described by Chanakya. And their characters and physical behavior. The categories are Sashaka, Mriga, brisha and ashwa for men’s and padmini, chitrini, sankhini and hastini for women.
An Apology: First of all, I apologize to my readers for not writing frequently. I have received so many questions from you and I have not found the time to organize the answers properly. I am going through a very difficult course at this time, but I will surely write the answers to your questions in coming weeks.
Now back to the question. We want to move from a dull subject to an interesting one, so I will start with the Men’s part first and then move on to the women’s section later on.
Pleae note that the classification of Men and Women is not an original work of Chanakya. Chanakya is more known for “Arthasashtra”. Yes, Chanakya does mention very important things but a more thorough classification of men and specially women is found in Ancient Indian Sex manuals like Kamasutra by Vatsyayana and Ananga Ranga by Kalyanmalla, a Kalinga poet.
The question which you had asked has detailed and point by point explanation in Ananga Ranga. It’s a high quality literary work and anyone interested in knowing the hidden techniques of love making should definitely read it. What I am going to write below is purely based on the work of Kalyanmalla. Although, it is important to note that his contemporaries had objections to his theory and more classification of women were proposed, depending on temperment, mood, nature, behavior and other things.
Also, most of these authors have written more about women than men because a man is pretty simple to understand and comprehend, while such is not the case with women.
- The text mentions three types of men not four. These are Sashaka (Hare man), Vrishabha (Bull Man) and Ashva (Horse man). Men are categorised by the length of their Linga (male reproductive organ).
- The outer appearance of a man is a direct reflection of the length of his Linga and vice versa. A short man will have a short linga while a long man will have a long one, in general. So you can easily predict whether a man is a Hare man, a Bull man or a Horse man by looking at him and noting his gestures, appearance, the way he speaks and carries himself.
- The hare man’s linga does not exceed the breadth of six fingers when erected. The hare man is short in height and generally has a round or square face. His appetite is small, his chest is clean and his hair is silky. The palm of his hand is reddish and graceful while his face Color is pale. Short neck, short shoulders and legs are thin. Their semen is of a sweet smell and they are not too much inclined and lustful towards women, in general.
Leonardo D Caprio is a good example of a Hare man. His height is short, face round and shoulders are congested. Not muscular and there is no aggression in his face and posture. He is like a boy next door, carries a sense of love, peace and belonging in his character.
- The Bull man’s Linga does not exceed the breadth of nine fingers when erected. Convex, sharp head which looks elevated and raised. The face is convex and resembles that of a charging bull. His body is rough and tough with a hairy chest. His palms are red and he has fleshy shoulders has curves like waves, it appears that shoulders are hanging from a strong column. This man is short tempered, cruel and often would attack others in situations of conflict. He has a short belly and his appetite is moderate. His belly looks like a tortoise, resemble the shaking gait of a lion. Their body is rich in marrow and this type of men are the most sought after by different classes of women.Indian actor John Abhraham perfectly fits the description of a Bull man.His Face is convex and resembles that of a charging bull, ready to attack at a moment’s notice. Anger and aggression reflects in his posture, his shoulders are curvy. Body is triangular with a short belly. The tip of the nose, the center of the chest and the tip of the shoulders forms a perfect rhombus, a common feature found in perfect Bull man.
- The horse man Linga does not exceed the breadth of twelve fingers when erected. He is muscular with a broad chest as tough as a block of iron. His voice is deep and he speaks very less, keeps the company of few people but not as short tempered as the Bull man. Long fingers with polished nails, big and unsteady eyes, limbs and knees appears to be curved. Compared to the Bull man, the horse man is calm and composed and doesn’t get agitated that easily. This man’s gait is quick, they secretly desire women of others but do not reveal their intentions to anyone, secretive and shy sometimes.
Arnold Schwarzenegger fits the description of a perfect Horse man. Look at this muscles and the Chest, appears to be as tough as iron. But at the same time, his posture does not reflect as much aggression as the bull man. His eyes are calm and he is relaxed. This is the Alpha male, who is calm and composed, despite having all the ingredients of aggression and the ability to overpower his Bull counterpart.
- If a woman wants to test a man, she must test him like Gold is tested. There are four recommended stages of testing gold – The touchstone, by cutting, by heating and by hammering. In hindsight, the author is telling women to test a man by considering his learning, his disposition, his qualities and finally by his actions (and not words).
- The most fundamental characteristic a man must posses is courage. Without courage, a man is not worthy enough to be considered a partner or to be considered for satisfying sexual desires. A man must have the will and spirit to be brave and to fight for his ground, no matter his situations. A woman should never accept a coward as her partner, no matter how rich, wealthy or knowledgeable he is. Because this lack of courage and cowardly nature of the man will not only bring upon his own downfall but also the downfall of his own family. The Bull man has the highest courage over the different types of men.
- The next characteristic to look for is Wisdom. A man must have courage but he also must be wise enough to decide what is right and what is not, in difficult situations.
- Other qualities to look for in men are – early rising, secrecy and privacy, generosity, attention, carnal desires, patience, judgement, lack of vainglory or excessive pride, contentment, not a glutton, not oversleeping, diligent in service, and finally, ambition.
- A man with red eyes, fleshy chest full of hair with long shoulders and arms, one who speaks with a deep voice which frightens the soft hearted, the one who roars like a Lion while angry, will always be rich, enjoy good position in society and will be able to satisfy his wife’s sexual desires. A woman should watch out for these signs. A man with facial hair and thick beard will be able to pleasure his partner more than a man who does not keep or have a beard. Facial hair is not only an indicator of fertility in men but the color of the hair with age clearly indicates his sexual passions. An impotent man’s beard will lose color prematurely, and a man who has less or no sexual desires will have no uniformity in his beard’s color.A man who speaks softly, the one who rarely gets angry, has less or no hair in his chest, has thin shoulders and arms will not likely be able to meet the expectations of his partner. Aggression is an indicator of masculine characteristics.
- The man whose Linga is very long, will be wretchedly poor. The man whose Linga is very thick, will ever be in distress. The man whose Linga is thin and lean, will be very lucky; and the man whose Linga is short but wide will be a King.
- There are four orders of women – Padmini, Chitrini, Shankhini and Hastini.This classification is based on her temperamental and physical characteristics.
- But going by the physical and outward appearances, women are broadly classified into 3 groups. Mrigi (the dear), Vadava (the mare), and Karini (Elephant). Women’s classification is done by the depth of the Yoni, the female reproductive organ.
- The Mrigi (dear) has a Yoni 6 fingers deep. Her fingers are long, her body is lean and thin and her head is small. Her hair is sometimes curly. Her bosom is firm and her stomach is thin and drawn inwards. Her buttocks are broad and her belly is short. Her nostrils are small, her eyes are beautiful like a wandering deer, with deep eyelashes. Her lips and hands are red as a Rose, the ears, cheeks and neck are long. She is agitated by jealousy but her anger is short lived. Her backbone is straight and her voice is languid.
- The Vadava (mare) has a Yoni 9 fingers deep. Her hands, arms, hips, bosom and hips are fleshy and maintain the same structure uniformly. When standing, her head slopes forward and her hair is usually long and straight. Her eyes are unsteady, like the petals of a Blue Lotus and so is her Yoni. She has a rough line of teeth, the pitcher like breasts are fleshy and hard. The belly appears to be raised up and hands as delicate as a lotus. Her navel is round, deep and well rounded. Her walk is gracious, curved and beautiful buttocks which one envies. She is fond of eating and sleeping.
- The Karini (Elephant) has a Yoni 12 fingers deep. Broad forehead, cheeks, ears and nostrils. Her arms are short, fleshy, her voice is hard and harsh. She is gluttonous with large breasts, her throat, cheeks, ears are very big. She longes for longer duration of carnal activity and is often suited well with a Horse man.
- It is to be noted that while men exist in pure form of any of the three mentioned categories, women are often found in proportions. For example, a woman maybe 1/3rd of a mrigi, 1/2 of a mare and 1/5th of a Karini. A Pure Padmini or Hastini woman cannot be found since a woman exists in proportions of the above mentioned categories.
- Description of a Padmini woman – A Padmini woman is the most beautiful woman of all the four categories. She is tender like a lotus bud, her coiton water has the scent of a blown blue lotus. Her eyes are like a terrified deer, and the corners of her eyes are red, her breasts resemble the shape of a cherry plum. Her nose is similar to that of a sesamum flower, who has the loveliness of the petal of a blue water lily, who is yellowish like a champaka flower and whose genital umbrella resembles the callix of an open lotus.
- A Padmini woman or a Lotus woman walks like a flamingo, her waist is united with three folds, her voice resembles the voice of a Goose or a cuckoo, she is well clothed and eats mild pure and little food. She is chaste with heavenly beauty which instantly attracts any man and makes him a slave of her in first sight. She is fond of white flowers and garments.
- A Pure Padmini is a rarity. As mentioned earlier, women are mostly made up of proportions. However, the quickest way for a man to find out if a woman is close to a Pure Padmini or not is the time it takes for a reflex erection to occur at first sight of the woman (For those of you who don’t know what is a reflex erection, it is that erection which happens to a man without any control and almost comes instantly without any pre-nominations). If the erection is instant or happens within a few moments of eye contact with the woman, be rest assured that this is a Pure Padmini of the highest class
The Late Indian actress Sridevi closely resembles the descriptions of a Modern Padmini woman. Best example of “Mrignayani” (a woman with the eyes of a terrified deer is the most beautiful one). The structure of her eye, the proportions of her face with rest of the body and every other feature matches very close to that of a Padmini woman. If you note, in her later years, she maintained the same level of elegance in her personality. A Padmini woman is truly “ageless”.
- A Padmini woman is highly seductive and mens of all classes lust for her, they are ready to sacrifice everything to have the company of a Padmini for few moments. Draupadi, Ahalya, Rani Padmavati, Helen of Troy are some examples of Pure Padmini women. A Padmini woman is attracted to a man of warrior class, the man who is brave, courageous, is victorious in battles, is full of virtues and valor. A Padmini woman often falls for a King, a minister, a person with diplomatic powers or that of a royal clan, someone who is a brave soldier, a man who stands his ground, a Lion who roars the jungle like a King and she is fond of men with heroic endeavours.
- Description of a Chitrini Woman – The Chitrini woman has a beautiful gait, she is neither too tall nor too short, her legs are like a crow and her coiton water smells like honey.A Chitrini woman reflects art, elegance, class and overall personality over beauty and principles of lust. She represents and is attracted to intellect, wisdom, artistic and creative qualities. She does not reveal as much as the Padmini woman does, neither she is weak towards attracting the opposite sex through gestures, apparel and outward appearances. She maintains elegance in everything she does.Her neck is like a conch shell, her face slightly triangular, her voice is resembles the voice of a chakora bird, she is fond of singing and dancing. She is fond of art and is attracted towards intellect over power. While a Padmini is attracted to bravery and heroism, a Chitrini is attracted to intellect, art, mastery of a craft, maturity and wisdom. A Chitrini woman is more likely to fall in love with a poet, a bard, an actor, a writer, a musician, a philosopher or a person who is known for his intellectual prowess and has mastered a particular craft well. A Chitrini woman is fond of bright things, she relishes sweet, milk, butter, her eyes are fickle and she relishes external enjoyment.
The Indian Actress Kajol Devgan is a close example of a Chitrini woman. She is of a dark complexion, triangular face with convex features, not considered as much beautiful as other actresses but she maintains a very strong personality, even though she is not as attractive. Her work is also very subjective and represents class and elegance, she does not involve herself in any cheap shows or performance and maintains a state of supreme elegance in her work and personal life.
- Description of a Sankhini Woman – A Sankhini woman has a stretched body, long neck resembling that of a crane, spreaded toes and feets, long waist and every other attribute is bigger and sharper than normal. She is unusually tall, longs for red flower and garments. Her bone cage is clearly visible in her neck, while her bossom has less amount of flesh. During copulation, she produces many nail marks on the male body. This woman is very clever, cunning, wicked, athletic, indulges in physical exercise, well educated and extremely intelligent. She has a moderate appetite, hard hearted, ass voiced and struggles with attracting males, compared to Padmini and Citrini. The easiest way to identify a Sankhini is how she appears like a Crane amongst a crowd of people and stands out because of her height and sharp attributes. Indian actress Deepika Padukone and Sushmita Sen are perfect examples of a Modern day Sankhini woman. Both of them are unusually tall, their necks resemble the neck of a crane, the bone cage is visible right below the neck. The shoulders and arms are spread out and every other feature is sharp and stands out way beyond normal.
- Description of a Hastini woman – The Hastini or “Elephant” woman has a slower gait, her feets are clumsy and small, her beck is fleshy and her breasts are big and swollen. Her hair is tawney, she likes to eat a lot, her lips are large, she never gets satisfaction on copulation. Her voice is choked and her hips are projected outwards like a vessel. She is usually of short height and walks like an Elephant, not minding anyone in her way and going about her business without worrying too much about onlookers (like an Elephant).
Indian actress Hema Malini is a good example of a Hasthini woman. Even in her active years, you can easily see that she was not as slim as other actresses. Although, I must note that her facial features are that of a Padmini woman, but her overall representation and structural getup is that of a Hasthini. She is likely a Hastini – Padmini hybrid.
- Different classes of women react differently to romantic gestures and sexual pleasures during the different Praharas of the day.For maximum pleasure, the author recommends – A Citrini woman should be dealt with at the 1st Prahar of day or night, a Hastini during the 2nd prahar of day or night, a sankhini should be welcomed at the 3rd prahar of day or night while the most beloved Padmini is to be enjoyed during the 4th prahara of day or night.
- Sexual satisfaction in men and women is mostly determined by two things
A. Of what proportions the woman is made up of.
B. Whether she is paired with the right man who has the ability to fulfil the need of that particular proportion.
The man’s sexual ability does not matter as much as whether the proportion is a right fit or not for that particular man. So for example, a Bull man who has perfect libido may not be able to satisfy a Karini woman with 1/3rd characteristics of Padmini in her. That is not the fault of the man. That is the fault of the incompatible proportions the woman has which the Bull man is not able to cope up with.
- The greatest compatibility comes through a consistency in dimensions and the discomfort increases with the ratio of difference.
Sashaka (Hare man ) + Mrigi (Deer woman) = Uttama (Excellent)
Sashaka (Hare man ) + Vadva (Mare woman) = Madhyama (Moderate)
Sashaka (Hare man) + Karini (Elephant woman) = Kanistha (Not recommended)
Vrishabha (Bull man) + Karini (Elephant woman) = Uttama (Excellent)
Vrishabha (Bull man) + Vadva (Mare woman) = Madhyama (Moderate)
Vrishabha (Bull man) + Mrigi (Deer woman) = Kanistha (Not recommended)
Ashva (Horse man) + Karini (Elephant woman) = Uttama (Excellent)
Ashva (Horse man) + Vadva (Mare woman) = Madhyama (Moderate)
Ashva (Horse man) + Mrigi (Deer woman) = Kanistha (Not recommended).
- So as we can see, the Mrigi (deer woman) has to always find a Sashaka to get the most pleasure. The Vadva gets the same pleasure from any man while the Karini has to always avoid the Sashaka and she would be fine.By the laws of probability, the mrigi woman is the most deprived of finding a suitable partner and the Karini woman has abundance of choices. The Vadva woman is indifferent to the types of men and does not even have a choice of good, better and best.
- Men should know of some visual cues which possibly indicates whether a woman desires to make love not. A woman who wants to be intimate with a man will often rub and smoothes her own hair, will hug young children (specially boys) and kiss them as often, bites her lower lip or chews it, embraces female friends in public, looks over her shoulders and arms, walks unsteadily or stammers for no reason.
- The situations when a woman can be easily satisfied are
— When she is tired with bodily exercise or too much household work
— After a month of Childbirth
— Earlier stages of Pregnancy
— If recently cured of fever or a long stretching disease
— When feeling unusually happy because of some event or achievement
— When she is sleepy or dull or without any energy
— Immediately after the menstrual cycle has ended
— Throughout the spring season
— During lightning, thunder or heavy rain when the outside world appears to fall apart, the woman anchors the man as a means of protection and enjoys love making the most.
- The sensory points in a woman’s body changes, depending on the day of a lunar fortnight. This again depends on the temper-mental characteristic of that particular woman in question and will not match with any other woman in general. However, a broad classification has been done and is presented below
— 1st day of light fortnight (Shukla paksha)- Toes
— 2nd day — Foot
— 3rd day — Calf of Leg
— 4th day — Knees
— 5th day — Yoni (a woman receives the maximum pleasure on the 5th day of the lunar fortnight. This is not to be confused with an individual’s menstrual cycle. There is a theory behind it as well, but that is not discussed in the work of Ananga ranga)
— 6th day – Buttocks
— 7th day — Navel
— 8th day — Breasts
— 9th day — Breasts
— 10th day — Neck
— 11th day — Throat
— 12th day — Right Cheek
— 13th day — Lower lip
— 14th day — Right eye
— 15th day or dark fortnight (Krishna Paksha)– Head and hair
The above is a general observation and not accurate for different classes of women. A padmini women and a Karini women will differ on a given day depending again on the individual proportion she is made up of. For example, a Padmini women on her 5th day likes to be loved in her face/cheeks/hair while a Karini woman on her 9th day likes to be made love with force. It depends and varies from one proportion to another. For a complete reference, please refer to the tables of “Chandrakala” mentioned in the original work of the author. It is quite exhaustive and beyond the scope of this article.
To end the article, the text of “Kamasutra” and “Ananga Ranga” is not to be viewed as an erotic story for pleasure. It is a detailed and thoroughly exhaustive work of understanding different subjects, their orientation and use the knowledge to to find the right suitor for partnership, love making or to beget a partner for life. Knowledge of these things helps a man or a woman make sound decisions based on ancient research by Indian scholars and using their techniques of observation / statistical analysis. How you take the work is completely upto you and your perception on the subject.
I strongly urge both men and women to read these texts before deciding to get married or after they are married. It will help you understand the opposite sex better and you will greatly benefit from your interactions with the opposite sex, whether be your partner or a colleague or anyone unknown. For example, if you are dealing with a Vrishabha man, you should not indulge in direct confrontation and would take serious matters in presence of a known family member. Again, when dealing with a Padmini woman whom you like or want to make love with, you should first try to please her by showing your qualities, strengths, valour and achievements and not try to impress her with flattery or gifts which she does not like.
The knowledge of these small details will help you understand the opposite sex better and will prepare you for better interactions to attain your desired objectives.
Footnote: I have used the examples of actors and actresses because it makes it easier to explain the concept since actors and actresses have sharp facial and physical features which common people lack. Also, the examples of actors and actresses makes the readers relate to the subject easily, since almost everyone knows them well and can relate to easily. Common men and women also have these features but to smaller details and proportions, not easily recognisable to a common person who does not know how to read these features to the smallest detail.